Last Sunday, I went skiing with ESL professor and classmates. Before going there, I was nervous because I have never done it before and I have a bad body which is very stiff. But, while skiing, I felt fresh and interesting even if it was hard. I like just ping-pong and bowling of all exercises, but skiing also become my favorite exercise. Skiing is similar to rollerblading that was boom in Korea when I was young. Thus, I could remember 2002 World Cup in Korea because I cheered Korean soccer team with my friends while rollerblading in the park. However, there were other things that I felt more interesting. When I was riding a same van with my professor, she talked to the driver constantly. I thought that it is also American culture that Americans say each other even if they are not familiar. In addition, while skiing, there were many people who say “hello” to us. That is also the American culture that I realized firstly, after I came here! If I say “hello” to unfamiliar people in Korea, they can feel embarrassed and perplexed. After the skiing, I was very tired and hungry, but felt a sense of satisfaction. The experience on Sunday was fun to learn about skiing and impressive to know about culture.

You got lots of improvement on you skiing skill,and congradulate you have overcome the diffculties in the ski.
ReplyDeleteAmy, you are an impressive skiier! You did really well. I don't even remember that you falling! I didn't realize I talked constantly :) It is true that it is the polite thing to do - talk when you are in the same car with someone you don't know. I think a few of you talked a little, but I know I did talk alot!! It is a great little tidbit that you noticed about our culture.
ReplyDeleteI like 'say hello culture' too. It's one of the best American culture I think.
ReplyDeleteyou have a very interesting comment on American Culture.I also found it different when the professor tried to make conversation.
ReplyDeleteIt is cool that you can remember World Cup 2002 in Korea with the activities that you do in America. I also liked the camparation that you made with American Culture and Korean Culture at the moment of say "hi" to someone unknown.
ReplyDeleteI find roller skating a lot easier than skiing.
ReplyDelete